Plug-in Electric Vehicles (PEVs) are designed to plug into the electric grid to be powered or fueled by electricity recharging a lithium-ion battery.
There are two types of plug-in electric vehicles: Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) and Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). PHEVs are powered by an internal combustion engine and an electric motor and can be recharged with Level 1-2 Chargers. BEVs are fully powered by the rechargeable battery, can use any charger type, and typically have a higher electric mile range than PHEVs.
How do Solano residents perceive EVs today?
In a recent survey, STA asked Solano commuters what words came to mind when they thought of EVs. Many commuters brought up the environmental and economic benefits of electric vehicles. Even though many EV models are offered on affordable lease programs, many commuters feel that EVs are relatively expensive. They are also concerned with the range of EVs, even though many plug-in models are hybrids that also have a gasoline engine, which helps eliminate concerns about range. Additionally, new full-electric models come with increasingly long range options—for example, the Chevy Bolt has a range of over 200 miles.
Why Should I Buy an Electric Car?
Electric cars use far less energy than gasoline-powered cars, generally cost about a third as much as a gas-powered car to run, and often have lower maintenance costs. Electricity in most parts of the country costs the equivalent of about $1-a-gallon gas. You can compare how much you’d save using the DOE’s eGallon tool. And you could save even more if you take advantage of lower off-peak charging rates.
- EVs produce no tail pipe emissions and have lower lifecycle emissions than efficient gasoline powered vehicles.
- EVs are quiet and many models are fun to drive.
- EVs don’t rely on imported petroleum, and electricity prices are more stable than gasoline prices.
- Charging at home is convenient and takes less time than going to the gas station.
- When combined with rooftop solar, “fuel” costs can be completely eliminated.